Click to Chat

Live chat with our customer service team.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. General
  2. Cost
  3. Claims
  4. Regulatory

General Questions:

  1. What is ChildMax?

    ChildMax is an insurance policy for UK residents, designed to protect your take home salary in the event that you take an unpaid leave of absence from your employment in order to care for your child following their diagnosis of a specified medical condition caused by an accident or, a specified illness. Please read the Insurance Product Information Document for more details.

  2. How does ChildMax operate?

    After your child has been diagnosed with a specific medical condition caused by an accident or a specified Illness and you take an unpaid leave of absence from your employment to care for your child, the policy will pay your take home salary on a monthly basis for up to a maximum of twelve (12) months. You must start your leave of absence during the policy period or in the 10 months immediately following the expiry of the policy. Please read the Insurance Product Information Document for more details.

  3. Who is the policyholder?

    You are the holder of the policy and all claims payments will be made directly to you.

  4. Can I make changes to the Policy Certificate?

    When purchasing a ChildMax policy please take care to provide us with accurate information. Once purchased changes to the Policy Certificate information cannot normally be made until the policy is renewed.

  5. Do I have a right to cancel the policy?

    You have a right to cancel the policy. If within fourteen (14) days of purchasing the policy you decide that it does not meet your needs we will refund your premium in full provided you have already paid the premium in full and have not reported or intend to report a claim. After the fourteen (14) days has expired, you may cancel the policy but will not receive a refund. This process is the same whether you pay a single annual payment or pay in monthly instalments.

  6. What Specific Medical Conditions and Specified Illnesses does ChildMax insure?

    ChildMax insures the following Specific Medical Conditions resulting from an accident and Specified Illnesses.

    Specific Medical Conditions are:

    1. Blindness
    2. Coma
    3. Deafness
    4. Loss of a Hand or Foot
    5. Paralysis of Limb(s)
    6. Serious Third-Degree Burn(s)
    7. Traumatic Brain Injury

    Specified Illnesses are:

    1. Aplastic Anaemia
    2. Bacterial Meningitis
    3. Benign Brain Tumour
    4. Blindness
    5. Cancer
    6. Deafness
    7. Kidney Failure
    8. Loss of a Hand or Foot
    9. Major Organ Transplant
    10. Multiple Sclerosis with Persisting Symptoms
    11. Paralysis of Limb(s)
    12. Stroke

    For the avoidance of doubt, only those conditions that fall within the specific medical conditions and/or specified illnesses as specifically defined in the policy are covered. Any other conditions not so specifically defined are excluded from the scope of cover of this policy. Please refer to the medical definitions section of the Policy. For an explanation of each medical term, please refer to the Glossary.

  7. What ChildMax cannot cover?

    Any loss of take home salary caused or contributed to directly or indirectly by:

    1. You or your child taking part in a criminal act;
    2. Your child's intentional or self-inflicted injury;
    3. Injury to your child intentionally caused by You or an adult residing with you at your address;
    4. You or your child being intoxicated by alcohol or drugs;
    5. Any specified illness present at the child’s birth;
    6. Any specific medical condition or specified illness which first manifested before the Pre-Existing date;
    7. Any accident which occurred before the Pre-Existing date;
    8. Any medical condition not specified in this policy;
    9. You or Your Child are living outside of the United Kingdom;
    10. Your or your child's unreasonable failure to seek or follow medical advice;
    11. Your child being less than three (3) months old on the day of the diagnosis or Accident;
    12. Your child engaging in or taking part in armed forces service or operations.
    13. Any Serious Third-degree Burns that is covers less than 5% of the body’s surface area;
    14. War and/or terrorism;
    15. Any bodily injury, illness as a result of (i) any chemical, biological, bio-chemical or radioactive materials except where such materials form part of an approved treatment regime under the supervision of a relevant Medical Specialist; (ii) A nuclear or radioactive device whose destructive force employs or involves atomic or nuclear fission and/or fusion or other like reaction;
    16. Any Accident or Specified Illness as a result of a pandemic or epidemic declared as such by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

    Please read the Policy for the full details.

  8. What is the Pre-Existing date?

    The Pre-Existing date is a specific date that is noted in the Policy Certificate relating to the child. This date is determined by the date the policy is first bought and it has the effect of excluding all coverage in respect of a specific medical condition or a specified illness which first manifested before the Pre-Existing date. It excludes all coverage in respect of an accident which occurred before the Pre-Existing date. The Pre-Existing date remains the same original date, as the policy is renewed. This means the policyholder has no medical declaration at renewal unless a new child is added. There is no need to report medical circumstances to insurers, unless it’s a claim; making the underwriting and claims processes simple to operate.

  9. Who decides what Specific Medical Conditions and Specified Illnesses definitions are used?

    We use medical definitions taken from the Minimum Standards for Critical Illness Cover (2018) produced by the Association of British Insurers (ABI).

  10. Who should provide the diagnosis?

    We require the diagnosis to be made by a medical specialist. We consider a medical specialist to be a qualified medical consultant on the list of registered medical practitioners within the UK General Medical Council and accepted by us as a specialist in an area of medicine appropriate to the condition or illness.

  11. Can I set my own the take home salary?

    You can select your take home salary to be insured from £1,000 and up to a maximum of £5,000 per month. Your selection should be based on your earnings prior to purchasing ChildMax. You can select a lower figure than your actual take home salary, but never higher. You will need documentary evidence of your take home salary in the event you make a claim.

  12. Who can purchase ChildMax?

    Any working parent, who is a UK resident and has their main home is in the UK. They must have a national insurance number. Working parents can be employed, self-employed, company directors or partners.

Cost Questions:

  1. How much does ChildMax cost?

    Your premium depends on your selected take home salary and the number and age of your children, subject to a £49.50 (IPT) minimum premium. Pay a single premium or an initial deposit payment followed by 11 equal monthly payments.

  2. If I pay by credit card are there any additional charges?

    There is no charge for using any debit, credit card or American Express.

  3. How many children can I insure?

    You can insure up to 8 children, but they must be natural (biological), step (from marriage) or legally adopted and reside with you at your address. Your children must be over three (3) months old and under eighteen (18) years old at the policy inception.

  4. What is meant by my “Take Home Salary”?

    Take home salary means my annual earnings actually received under my contract of employment net of tax, national insurance contributions and other payments; or self-employed earnings or dividends as applicable. Take home salary does not include overtime or one-off or discretionary bonuses.

Claim Questions:

  1. What happens if I have a critical illness policy with the child extension?

    ChildMax will take no account of the critical illness claim with another insurer.

  2. How do I make a claim?

    You will need to notify Orchard Administration Limited who we have appointed to handle all claims on our behalf. It is a condition precedent to our liability under the Policy that in the event of any Accident or Specified Illness which causes or may cause you to make a claim under this Policy, you shall:

    1. notify us via Orchard Administration Limited as soon as reasonably practicable but in any event no later than thirty (30) days after the expiry of this Policy.
    2. seek the attention of a Medical Specialist as early as practicable;
    3. take all steps to minimise or avoid any loss under this Policy;
    4. provide us via Orchard Administration Limited or our appointed representatives with all necessary assistance in a timely manner, including but not limited to the provision of:
      1. written details of what has happened; and
      2. evidence of:
        1. Your Child's birth certificate;
        2. Your national insurance number;
        3. Your signed confirmation that your main residence is in the United Kingdom;
        4. Your Child’s registered General Practitioner’s name and address;
        5. Your Take Home Salary using Your last three (3) months' payslips from your employer. If you are a company director, then we require evidence of your Dividends for the last twelve (12) months, using your last tax return to HMRC. If you are self-employed, we require evidence of your Self-Employed Earnings for the last twelve (12) months, using your last tax return to HMRC;
        6. the medical details of Your Child’s Diagnosis by a Medical Specialist; we cannot process your claim unless you sign consent forms provided by us, to allow us to access to your child’s relevant medical records held by a medical specialist;
        7. the Medical Specialist’s details;
    5. notify us via Orchard Administration Limited immediately in the event you return to employment during your Leave of Absence whether on a full-time, part-time or other flexible basis.
  3. What happens if my child does not survive my leave of absence?

    Payments continue until the twelve (12) month leave of absence ceases or you choose to go back to work, whichever occurs first.

  4. How will my claim be paid?

    Payments will be made through BACS (an electronic system to make payments directly from one bank account to another).

  5. Can I claim more than one leave of absence for the same child?

    No, we will only pay for one leave of absence per child.

  6. Can I claim more than my take home salary?

    No, the total amount we will pay you under this policy shall not exceed the take home salary specified in the policy certificate.

  7. How quickly can we pay a claim?

    If you have provided all requested information and the claim has been fully investigated and agreed by us, we will then make payments in equal instalments in arrears. Please refer to the Policy for full details.

  8. What happens if I fail to start my leave of absence within the policy period or the 10 months following its expiry?

    The policy cannot respond and you will not receive any payments.

Regulatory Questions:

  1. Who is Great American International Insurance (UK) Limited?

    Great American International Insurance (UK) Limited who are part of the Great American Insurance Group. Great American International Insurance (UK) Limited, registered at 32 Queen Square, Bristol, BS1 4ND is registered in England as Company Number 02714031, is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Prudential Regulation Authority and the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 202874). Great American International Insurance (UK) Limited carries a Standard & Poor’s A+ rating.

  2. Who regulates the ChildMax policy?

    Great American International Insurance (UK) Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Prudential Regulation Authority and the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 202874). These details can be checked on the FCA’s Financial Services Register via their website or by contacting them on 0800 111 6768.

  3. Am I protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)?

    FSCS covers Great American International Insurance (UK) Limited and Riverside Underwriting Limited trading as in the event that either is unable to meets its obligations. You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme in such circumstances but this will depend on the circumstances. For further information please contact:

      Financial Services Compensation Scheme
      10th Floor Beaufort House
      15 St Botolph Street
      London, EC3A 7QU
      United Kingdom
      Telephone: 0800 678 1100 or 020 7741 4100

  4. Who regulates Riverside Underwriting Limited trading as

    Riverside Underwriting Limited trading as is an intermediary authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA); FRN 466942.

  5. How will ChildMax treat my data?

    Riverside Underwriting Limited trading as is the Data Controller for all Personal Information collected. Riverside Underwriting is an insurance broker registered with the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 466942) and the Information Commissioners Office under the General Data Protection Regulation. Where we are processing your data in relation to an insurance policy that you have purchased, our lawful basis for processing your data, as set out in Article 6 of the GDPR, is for the performance of the contract. The processing of the collected data is necessary for a contract that we have with the individual. If an individual does not wish to provide the necessary Personal Information, InsureWithMax will be unable to offer the individual any insurance policies. Where we are processing your data for marketing purposes, our lawful basis for doing so is the consent that the data subject has provided. You can change or remove your marketing preferences at any time.

  6. Who can I complain to?

    Customer Resolution Team

    Riverside Underwriting Limited

    Third Floor Riverside House

    Maidstone, Kent ME14 1JH

    Opening Hours: Mon - Fri 9AM - 5PM

    Telephone: 0333 323 0090

    International Telephone: +44 (0)333 323 0090

    UK Call Centre: 0333 323 0090

    Email Us:

    The Customer Resolution Team, Riverside Underwriting Limited, will endeavour to contact You within three (3) days of receiving your complaint to inform you of what action they are taking. They will try to resolve the complaint and will give You an answer within eight (8) weeks. If you are not satisfied with their response you can contact:

      Head of Operations & Claims
      Great American International Insurance (UK) Ltd
      32 Queen Square, Bristol, BS1 4ND
      Telephone: 0117 915 1433

    Should you remain dissatisfied with the final response or if you have not received a final response within 8 (eight) weeks of the complaint being made, you may be eligible to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service in the United Kingdom. The contact details are as follows:

    Financial Ombudsman Service

    Exchange Tower


    E14 9SR

    Telephone: +44 20 7964 0500 (from outside the UK)

    Telephone: 0800 023 4 567 (from inside the UK)

    Fax: +44 20 7964 1001


    The complaints handling arrangements above are without prejudice to your right to commence a legal action or an alternative dispute resolution proceeding in accordance with your contractual rights